Diversify your income, by shifting to a value-based mindset
Shift your mindset around how you DO the work you do
I know your time is valuable. These show notes give you the gist of the episode, what is covered, any links or resources talked about in the show, and also gives you a few ways to listen, watch or digest this episode.
This episode’s topic, in a nutshell…
We jump head high into the topic of extrapolating your marketable value and developing a product ecosystem around this which can earn you revenue. We wanted to focus on how you can reduce your dependency on earning your money in ONE way.
Daren Smith, my conversation guest, was lovely and patient. I even asked for some direct advice on my own positioning. Just like you – I struggle with stuff for ME. It’s easy for me to help others, but I’m also too close to my own business.
In this episode we unpack:
- What made Daren re-evaluate how he earned income (which was as a video producer)
- How building a product eco system can earn you an income (as opposed to depending on one way to generate revenue)
- How important a mindset shift is – when you are faced with having to rethink how to do what you do, and how you price what you do
- How narrowing your audience helps to deepen your connection with your ideal audience, and creates better conversations (LOVE this!)
- What a product eco system could look like and how Daren picked a starting point for him (compared to how he teaches this to others now)
If you have particularly struggled with re-thinking how to break away from offering your purely technical skill as your ‘service’ to your clients – maybe Daren’s story will help to break the eggshell for you and release some ideas.
Also, hear how Daren flipped his mindset switch. He shares how he realised, after 10 years earning the same about of money each year running a video production company, that becoming by then becoming a freelancer who positioned himself as a “partner” and not a supplier increased his value and earnings dramatically.
Quick ref to resources or links we mention
In this episode we have referred to quite a few different resources – between Daren and myself:
- Daniel Priestley (he is the Co-Founder and CEO of DENT Global and has a load of great books that all should be read together as a series. Very practical and helpful distilled view on building yourself as a key person of influence, alongside a strong product ecosystem)
- Brian Clarke, the founder of Copyblogger, talking with Daren on an episode on 10k Creator Podcast about creating a content business
- Brant Pinvidic who says to convey your message in 3 minutes or less. (The 3-minute Rule)
- Cal Newport – a Computer Scientist and bestselling author. Daren mentions his book: “So Good They Can’t Ignore You.”
Ways to watch, listen or digest this episode:
Full transcription: Click here for the audio with follow-along transcription.
Listen on the go, on your mobile phone: Click here to find the show on your favourite podcast app.
You can watch the episode in full colour here:
All full episodes are recorded in video as well, and are uploaded to the show’s playlist on my YouTube channel. (Click here to quickly subscribe to my channel to see future episodes).
If you want to watch with auto-generated captions – click the captions icon on the YouTube play bar menu at the bottom of the video.
A bit more about Daren Smith
Daren Smith is a film producer, author, podcast host and business strategist. He started his business Craftsman Creative after over a decade of running a video production company and working as a freelancer on projects for businesses ranging from start-ups to Fortune 50 companies.
While he is still producing feature-length films, he is also a trained business coach, using his deep and wide experience in the creative world, to guide other film and video creators who need help with strategy, outcomes, and mindset, in their business.
You can access his free workshops here, or go ahead and do his FREE scorecard for creative entrepreneurs who are stuck, and want Daren’s immediate advice on identifying the areas to put your major focus on, to build a business that’s perfectly aligned with you and your goals.
Ask a question
Click the button below for a chance to have your question answered on my podcast.